9.12.2006

"I'm holding out for a hero..."

I saw my friend Ray today for the first time in 10 months.

No, I'm not just a terrible friend who neglected him for almost a year. Ray (or should I say, Lance Corporal Raymond Mattson) is a proud member of the U.S. Marine Corps, and has been stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I last saw him in November '05, and have been corresponding with him via telephone, AIM and MySpace while he is away.

Ray and I met my junior year of high school. I was a teacher's aide in his Spanish class, and then student director of a musical which he landed a leading role. We grew close, and have been close ever since.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't want Ray to join the Corps. I was worried that he would be sent to war (which he still may) and get hurt - or worse. I hated the thought of him being so far away, and didn't want to have to figure out the 13-hour time difference every time I wanted to call him. Selfish? Yes, but I'm sure you can sympathize.

I'll also say that I have strong opinions about the ongoing war and political policies currently in place. I won't share these, however, for the sake of my journalistic integrity and for Ray, but they are still in my heart.

With all of the aforementioned info, you can imagine how excited I was to see him today, if only for three hours. I drove to NYC last night after work and had to return to CT today for a night shift at the Register, but the journey was well worth it.

Even though I didn't want him to be a Marine, I'm still so proud of Ray and all that he has accomplished. I can see a definite change in him, but deep down he's still the guy I know and love.

So to Ray, and all of the other men and women who are serving this great country of ours, I say a profound and heartfelt, "Thank you." Every citizen owes you all a debt of gratitude, and I will gladly be among the first to pay mine.


--title taken from the lyrics to Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out for a Hero"--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home