8.23.2006

Explaining my cartoon self


My fellow blogger Julio Urdaneta (editor of Registro, the New Haven Register's Spanish language publication) told me that he had received comments from several people who wondered why I am the only blogger without a real photo. He suggested that I either add a photo to mine to go with the rest, or that I explain my cartoon (seen above).

I think Julio is correct. As I looked at our Blog Central page, I realized an explanation was warranted for my deviation.

I love art. I have for as long as I can remember. I'm not just talking about painting and sculpture, although I do love those and other forms found in museums, exhibits, galleries and installations. I love all art forms, including music, theater, film, dance... you name it, I probably enjoy it.

That being said, I've also enjoyed drawing and writing poetry for many years. While I was in college, I spent a great deal of time on the newspaper staff. I was a staff writer, Web site editor, head photographer, Campus News Editor and Managing Editor. One of the best jobs I had, though, was as editorial cartoonist. For 3 years, I showed my thoughts through cartoons. It was a great outlet for me as an aspiring artist and as a journalist.

The image that appears on this page and our main blog page is from the very last cartoon I drew for my college paper. I wanted my readers to see who was behind the spot all those years, and what better way than to draw myself as I had drawn so many other things.

I plan to return to my drawing and post some work here along with blog entries. I hope you will like them, and I hope that this explains why you see the cartoon me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home