11.13.2006

"They settle down as man and wife to solve the riddle called married life..."

This past summer, two people I went to high school with were married. Then within the last few months, two of my friends got engaged. There are low-to-mid twenty-somethings getting engaged and wed all around me, and it's got me thinking - am I missing something?

I thought the trend over the last twenty years or so was to get married a bit later in life (30s, at least). That's what I had seen, and I was fine with that. I'm not saying that people who are making the earlier decision are making a bad choice. I'm sure for some people it is perfectly timed, and other people will realize that no amount of time or waiting would make their union work. I just think that there is something I'm not seeing.

Growing up, I remember hearing girls talk about the perfect wedding and how many kids they wanted. Some people even had baby names picked out and ready to go. I never thought about those things. From a fairly young age, I was focused on making a life for myself. I wanted a successful career (and to me, success does not mean $$$) and to establish myself as an independent person before even considering joining up with someone else.

Does this make me a bad person? Should I not want to make a life for myself rather than establishing a life with someone else? I'm not saying I never want to get married, but I think that it's more important to be your own person and understand your life direction first. Otherwise, how can you hope to be successful as a unit?

Help me out here, folks. What are your thoughts on the younger marraige issue? What do you see as a good age range for marraige? Does age even matter, or is it more about the people? And please tell me, am I wrong?

*blog title taken from Cole Porter's "It's De-Lovely"*

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Age doesn't matter. I'm 30 and unmarried, and statistically speaking, many of the people I see around me getting married will be getting divorced, well... maybe around the time I finally get married.

11/20/2006 11:42 AM  
Blogger Nancy Hall said...

Fabulous! Someone who agrees with me! Thanks, anonymous commenter! I've gotten similar feedback from other folks who were just shy about leaving comments. Anyone else want to chime in?

11/20/2006 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home