8.08.2006

Let me begin by saying awesome.

What is so awesome, you ask?

This weekend I was surprised with a visit to the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art in New York. I've loved art for as long as I can remember, and even started to draw at an early age. I was the editorial cartoonist at my college paper, and took numerous art courses during my collegiate career (I plan to take more as soon as I become more financially stable). As you can see art is a huge part of my life.

Now it would have been significant enough for someone to take me to this museum on principle alone. I love art museums of any kind, and this specific area of focus is something close to my heart. However, it was even more thoughtful than that.

The special reason that I was taken to MoCCA was for an exhibition entitled "She Draws Comics: 100 Years of America's Women Cartoonists." Running through November 6, this exhibit showcases the history of female cartoonists from the dawn of the genre through WWII to the present day graphic novelists. It showed how women have been there from day one, paving their own way in a male-dominated arena by refusing to conform to standards set by the men.

Needless to say, I loved it. Even though I only drew for a college paper, I feel honored to be the tiniest part of what those incredible women have done. I haven't drawn anything major in a few months, but I honestly feel that it is something I must get back to because it makes me happy. I've been inspired!

If you are interested in cartoon and comic art - and there is more there than just the women cartoonists for those who are skeptical - I encourage you to take a day trip into Manhattan and check out MoCCA. Can't make it down? Check out the online exhibitions to get a feel for MoCCA's style. I highly recommend it!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right...a very very cool exhibit. Thanks for sharing!

8/10/2006 3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Connecticut, we are a very beautiful State. Hope everything goes well for you with your new apartment and your new job.

8/14/2006 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home