2.15.2007

"In my life, I love you more..."

So much has happened to me since I last posted in early January that I scarcely know where to begin. I'm still not terribly chatty, the reason for which I will explain shortly, but I didn't want people out in cyberland to think that I forgot about you or my blog.

On January 28, 2007, my father's almost three-year battle with brain cancer ended. He was 51 years old, and had so much more life to live. Thankfully I was home in NYC that weekend, and was even with my mom in dad's room when it happened. I take some comfort in knowing that all of our family had been with him the day before and that he is no longer suffering, but those are indeed small comforts to be had.

I don't want to be a total downer and apologize if I've already dampened your spirits. Honestly, that is not my intention. I'll keep further details for my own personal writing, but I wanted to use this space to ask all of you for a huge favor.

Celebrate life.

If there is anything that I have learned over the last three years, it's that people spend so much time worrying about trivial things such as money, power, the opinions of other people and their own selfish desires that they forget to celebrate the life they've been given. Here are my suggestions for people to start celebrating life. (Please add to this list as you choose, and feel free to
email me or add a comment with your own suggestions.)

Tell the ones you love how you feel today. Don't put it off because you think they already know - it's always nice to hear it again.

Do something you've always wanted to do. This could be anything from travelling to a dream location or calling an old flame to learning how to sculpt or reading War and Peace. Stop thinking about it and do it.

Write a letter to someone. No, not an email or a text message. I'm talking about actually pulling out a piece of paper and a pen, handwriting some sentiment and using the good old U.S. Postal Service to deliver heartfelt words to the person of your choice (in case it's been a while, stamps are 39 cents these days). You'll be surprised at what a release this can be for you, and what a joy it will be for the receiver.

Never forget who you are. Once a month, sit down with yourself and think about your life. Are you doing what you wanted to do? Are you living where you wanted to live? Are you the person you always hoped you'd be? If not, find a way to get there, or at least to get a little closer to your destination.

Life is short, people. Make sure you live it.

That's all for now. I'll check back in soon.


Thomas Hall, 1955-2007
"Though I know I'll never lose affection
for people and things, that went before,
I know I'll often stop and think about them;
In my life, I love you more."
~The Beatles, "In My Life"


*blog title taken from The Beatles "In My Life"*

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful reflection of a wonderful man.

2/16/2007 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home