4.23.2007

"Curtain up! Light the lights!"

I love theater. This is a love that has evolved in me since early childhood from a passion for film and Broadway (thanks in great part to my mother, who shares this love).

When I was in high school, I was a proud member of the drama club and participated in many theater productions as a techie - behind-the-scenes, stage managing, directing, even dabbling with some choreography. One of my best friends from high school took his love of drama to another level.

Erik Neilssen (also MLHS '02) is far more talented than I could ever hope to be. You see, Erik does it all - acts, writes, directs, produces... you name it, he can do it. Acting from a very early age, he has been in a myriad of shows and proven himself as a well-rounded thespian. Several years ago he had a vision for a community theater program which he has since made into a reality. I had the pleasure of seeing N.E.A.T. Productions' latest production this past weekend in NYC.

The group put on a double-feature radio show with H. G. Wells' The Time Machine and Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth. It was a joy to see high school and college-aged actors combining their voice talents, foley artist & musical skills, and that is the beauty of community theater. The show was great, but even better was knowing that these young theater lovers are able to practice the craft with their peers before a live audience. I think this is a wonderful opportunity for these young people to grow, both as thespians and as people.

I urge everyone to support school and community theater programs. I will be posting blog entries with information on upcoming productions as I hear about them. If you know of any upcoming local shows or auditions, please email me or leave a comment on this blog entry.

Since life is already filled with so much drama, why not enjoy some that is scripted?

*Blog title taken from "Everything's Coming Up Roses" from the musical Gypsy*

1 Comments:

Blogger JLong said...

I miss highschool drama - thanks for bringing back the memories! ;-)

4/24/2007 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home